How to get strong




Passion, Intelligence, Safety
There are literally no words that are worthy of explaining how unbelievable and vital Marty Mills is to a program! He is outstanding. His moral character shines brighter than any coach I've had the pleasure of playing for. When in Coach's presence, you can feel his passion; you can see it in his eyes.
Coach Mills has played a vital role in my high school and collegiate careers. His intensity and passion in the weight room is what drove me to play and work as hard as I did. He helped the Center Grove Softball Team strengthen to get ready for the season. At the time that we all were taking Coach Mills' course, we won a state championship. And, of course, Coach Mills was at the top of our list of people to thank.
There was always something productive taking place in the weight room. We were constantly moving at the speed and ability Coach Mills wanted us at. If not, he let us know. His coaching style is second to none and has taught me that working hard is the key to success. He does not put up with slacking off, he will push you farther than you think you can go. Even when you protest what he is telling you to do, or how much he is telling you to lift, he is ALWAYS right. He knows what you are capable of and will never put you in danger of injury. In fact, he preaches safety.
I was a Center Grove High School 2009 graduate and now attend Marian University. I play softball and start as a pitcher and clean-up hitter. I have worked with our college trainer and he is not even in Coach Mills' league! When we are working on what my college coach tells us to, I remember things and phrases that Mills taught me. My college team was amazed when I not only knew what a Power Clean was, but that I could do it better than any of them. This is all thanks to Marty Mills who, from day 1, taught the fundamentals of the Power Clean.
Not only does he know how to strength coach, he also knows what is healthy and what is going to improve your body overall. He practices what he preaches. If you get to school early enough, you will see him in there working out to the same exercise he taught you yesterday.
Lifting is Coach Mills' life. He loves, is passionate about, and probably wouldn't know what to do without it.
I know I feel lucky to know and have worked with Coach Marty Mills and anyone who gets to should feel privileged.

Emily Gwaltney – Marian University Softball
Pitcher on the 2009 State Championship Softball team