CG Weightlifting


The Center Grove strength and conditioning program is an essential part of any extracurricular agenda. I began freshman year by just taking the regular gym class and lifting after school. Coach Mills does an amazing job of implicating strength lifts and conditioning lifts into his workout program. The lifts are suitable for almost any age group. I started out, as a freshman, weighing about 135 and now I weigh about 185. Coach Mills varies his workouts depending on what sport you are in, so everything you do in the weight room is designed for improvement in your chosen activity.
Not only does the strength program at CG benefit a student in a sport, but I also saw an improvement in the classroom and my GPA. I was an honor student at CG and the specialized lifting class was a time when I could get away from the books for a while and get in a good workout. Workouts increase strength but I am a firm believer that they also relieve much of the stress that comes along with high school and the pressures of doing well academically.
Coach Mills' program helped me become an all-state athlete in football and also gave me the opportunity to play at the next level. I am attending Washington University in St. Louis this upcoming fall. I chose it because of its great prestige and it also has one of the top medical schools in the country. I probably would not be in the situation I am right now if it wasn't for all of the training and lifting sessions that I went through with Coach Mill's. He is an excellent coach/person and will do everything he can to physically and mentally prepare you for the sport or activity of your choice. I highly recommend the CG lifting program and believe only good can come out of one's involvement.

Scott O'Brien – Center Grove Male Athlete of the Year
Starting Defensive Back on the 2008 State Championship Football Team and on the 2009 Final Four Team as well as a starter in Baseball